We knew coming into it that the product would have a couple bugs that we would have to overcome since it is so new to the world. (12.0 patch set 1).
The SetupI had our hosting guy (thanks dude) setup a 2GB RAM VM with 2 cores. Oracle recommended 3GB minimum for the OMS home, but we tried with 2 (and later upped to 4gb). For the OS we went with SentOS 5.5. We allocated 20GB of storage, of which now its utilizing 13GB. For the database we just created a SID with catalog/catproc, nothing else.
The InstallIt was fairly straight forward, good old ./runInstaller. An awesome change from the last release, it does the Weblogic install for you (thank you runInstaller programmer guy/girl!). That was always such a pain to make sure you got the right version, etc... You basically say, here are my passwords, here is where I want the base home to be, go...
And about 1 hour later (give or take) you have EM (or you don't in my first 2 cases, see "Bugs").
Once the EM was up and running I went to go setup the S/K scripts to automate the startup of the system. To my surprise the installer did it as part of the install of the root scripts. I like that feature.
After poking around a bit on the EM front end I decided it was time to install an agent.
The Agent InstallSo I went to go download the agent installer for 12c and noticed a clause saying you can't use it to do an install. That is strange, than what is the point of having the link for the installer? After reading through the documentation they no longer support agent installs via the command line, sigh... So I sucked it up and went to the GUI to setup the agent. I went to add host and noticed my database server's OS was "not available". After some documentation reading I found you have to go download the agent software using the "self update" feature. In order to do this you have to supply your Oracle Support creds. After you supply the creds you refresh the available software download list, then find your OS in the list of available agents. Click download, and then go home for the day because its going to run a job in the background, eventually.
I picked a development database server as my guinea pig and did the GUI install. It was actually quite awesome. The install was smooth and it worked on the 1st try*, weird.
* - see bugs ;)
Adding TargetsAfter the agent was up and running I added the databases, listeners, etc that lived on that database server. This process was just about the same as it was in the other releases except getting to the setup was a little different. You have to click, setup -> add target -> add target manually. You can also setup recon tasks to automatically search for new targets daily/weekly/etc, then you can just review that list on a regular basis.
BugsI hit a couple snags during the install process:
1) Hard limit during OMS install. There is a bug during the Weblogic install that crashes the installer. The hard limit requirement is 4096, we had to set it to 30000 to get the install to pass, then we dropped it back down after.
2) After the first failure I tried cleaning up the database manually, that didn't go very well :) I suggest taking a snapshot of your datafiles right before you do the install so if it fails just go back to that version (I used flashback, it worked like a boss).
3) RAM. They were not joking about requiring 3GB, i would say it might run on 3GB. We have 4GB up and its consuming 86% of that so....
4) OMS crash during agent install. I had the OMS completely crash during my first attempt at the agent install. Not sure what that is about so I tried again, and it didn't occur. Not sure if it was related or if it was just a coincidence.
5) Collection error incidents not auto clearing. After a couple days I noticed my queue of incidents was piling up with collection errors. Those should auto clear once they have a successful upload. Blarg. Having the Oracle support integrated with EM was an awesome idea btw. I clicked the Oracle support tab and found that it was a bug with EM 12c patch set 1. ha. Here is the patch id: 13692486. Note its only an issue with patch set 1.
Cluster ConfigurationIf you have Clusterware installed I suggest doing the following: Install the agent on all nodes in the cluster. Then from there add a cluster target to identify where the cluster exists. Then do auto-discovery for the remainder targets. This way your database instances in the cluster will fall under the cluster and not independent nodes. In our development environment our clustered databases still showed up as single instances for some weird reason, not sure what that is about, but I'm still in search for a solution.
FeaturesAll the database features that you know and love are still there, and some are improved. The speed of the system seems better (that might be hardware related tho) when compared to EM 11g. I really like a the landing pages that they developed. Its super easy to setup multiple groups and users.
I have yet to install a FMW server on it, but I will have an update soon on those features.
They also added a bunch of dashboards that would be super neat if you have a couple computers setup for such an activity (we do). It shows basic "UP/DOWN" status, if things are in normal range (I/O, CPU, etc...). That feature will be really nice for our operations department.